Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A luscious-looking drink for all you coconut lovers out there (like me!) who want something smooth and creamy, but don't want or can't have alcohol or dairy. I found this over at the World's Healthiest Foods site while browsing their recipe collection. This variation on the more traditional pina colada recipe is a good cure any tropical cravings you might have! You'll want to make sure to use ripe bananas for this recipe, as it will provide more flavor and sweetness that way. Also, make sure to use only enough liquid to keep the blender going. NOTE: Cook time is freezing time for the bananas. If you're like me and usually have leftover ripe bananas already in the freezer waiting to be used, this recipe is a snap to put together.
- Slice bananas into 1/4 inch rounds. Place in plastic bag or other freezer-safe container and freeze (about 8 hours).
- In a blender, combine lime juice and some of the coconut milk. If the bananas are frozen together pull them apart before adding them quickly one at a time through the feed tube.
- Stop the blender and scrape the ingredients down.
- Add more coconut milk, scraping down the mixture as needed to keep the mixture moving through the blender.
- Add grated coconut and run the blender for 5 seconds.
- AS SOON AS THE BANANAS ARE BLENDED, stop the blender. If blending goes on too long, the mixture will get warm and runny rather than cool and creamy.
What a refreshing beverage! DD doesn't like coconut so it didn't pass her scrutiny but I thought the flavors were great. Next time I'll make a batch without the shredded coconut just for her. Great way to make sure my bananas don't go bad anymore! Thanks for posting!