Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from Bon Appetit. Make sure you use very ripe bananas for this one to give it lots of flavor!
- 1 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan.
- Stir chocolate chips, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon in small bowl until well blended; set streusel aside.
- Sift all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, room temperature butter, and egg in large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in mashed bananas and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients and blend well.
- Spread half of batter (about 2 cups) in prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of streusel.
- Repeat with remaining batter and streusel.
- Bake coffee cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool coffee cake in pan on rack.
Used very ripe bananas fot this one! Cake came out so moist and delicious. Lots of banana flavor! If you like chocolate , you are going to love this ; ) Thanks Bev!
This is a favourite, i make this a lot! It is amazing, and everyone loves to eat it! I tend to sub 3 Tbsp plain yogurt for the buttermilk, and it works just fine.
Was missing a banana but made this anyway - great tasty cake! Didn't add any walnuts (allergies) - this is a perfect cake for somebody who has a sweet tooth! :yummy:! Added some banana flavouring I had and used mini chocolate chips. Next time would cut down on the sugar (to save a few calories!! ;). Thanks Bev! :)