This cake is so yummy and easy to make! Perfect with a nice hot cuppa! I originally found this in Quick Cooking Magazine.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in bananas and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda, and add gradually to the creamed mixture.
- Mix the topping ingredients together; add half to the batter.
- Pour batter into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan, and sprinkle with the remaining topping.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool, then cut into slices.
If you want the best banana coffee cake ever, you"ve GOT to make this. It's moistness and flavor can't be beat.... i did as Kohtzy did and use the BANANA STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE STREUSEL TOPPING, i just doubled it.. Adding half of it to the batter left the perfect amount for the topping.. You mix 1 and 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1 and 1/3 cup all purpose flour, 2 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon in a bowl, then cut in 2 sticks salted butter.. Now add 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, mix in... Add half to coffee cake batter before adding batter to baking pan and place remainder hear and there on top.... Check doneness at 30 minutes, mine took about 10 minutes more time. Place a piece of lightly coated cooking spray on foil to keep from sticking if getting to brown.. I took this to a senior meeting and everyone said it was delicious, a 10 star plus.
This was good! I took it for Easter Dinner at my families house. I only used one cup of sugar for the cake. And I used brown sugar in the topping along with a mixture of walnuts and pecans.
This was really good. I followed the recipe as written other then I didn't add the topping as I didn't have any pecans and I added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter but not the extra sugar. Mine took 35 minutes to cook. We all enjoyed this.