Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 mins
Enjoyed these at a winter dinner-party where the hosts grilled the shrimp at the dining table. Wonderful! I look forward to trying this on the barbeque come summer.
- 1⁄4 large banana
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 500 g large shrimp, shelled and deveined,you'll probably have between 26 to 30
- 1⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄3 cup grated coconut, toasted
- lime wedge
- Puree (or mash) the banana with lime juice, olive oil, turmeric, salt and hot-pepper sauce.
- Toss marinade with the shrimp and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl, combine the cracker-crumbs and the toasted coconut.
- Preheat the grill or broiler.
- Dip shrimp in the crumb/coconut mixture and thread onto bamboo or wooden skewers which have been soaked in water for 30 minutes to stop them from catching fire.
- (Each skewer will take 6 to 8 shrimps).
- Grill over a medium-hot fire (or broil) until shrimp are opaque- about 4 to 6 minutes- turning the kabobs over halfway throught the cooking time.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- NOTE: TO PREVENT SHRIMP- OR ANY KABOB ITEMS- FROM SLIPPING,USE 2 SKEWERS FOR EACH KABOB.
- BY HOLDING A PAIR OF SKEWERS 1/4" APART,THREAD THE SHRIMP ONTO BOTH SKEWERS AT THE SAME TIME.
- THIS WAY THE FOOD WILL TURN OVER WHEN YOU TURN THE SKEWERS RATHER THAT SPIN AROUND,AS THEY TEND TO DO,WHEN ON A SINGLE STICK.