Recipe by evelyn/athens
Children love this cooling, Malay-influenced pudding. Very easy, and soothing after a spicy meal.
Top Review by Nogwoman
I finally prepared the Tapioca I have, and this recipe is great! Thank you! I didn't use bananas though, I used Melon after cooling, and I unfortunately over soaked the Tapioca so it was a bit too soft, but it was still great.
- 1 tablespoon small pearl tapioca (not quick-cooking)
- 1 (14 ounce) canlight unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 firm-ripe bananas
- minced crystallized ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, soften tapioca in warm water to cover 1 hour.
- While tapioca is soaking, in a small saucepan, cook coconut milk, ginger and sugar over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and let mixture stand 10 minutes.
- Drain tapioca.
- Peel bananas and quarter lengthwise.
- Cut quarters into ½ inch pieces.
- Heat coconut milk mixture over low heat and gently stir in tapioca and bananas.
- Cook pudding, stirring (be careful not to break up bananas), until thickened slightly and bananas are heated through, about 5 minutes, and cool.
- Divide pudding among six ramekins and chill, covered, until cold.
- Garnish puddings with crystallized ginger.