Recipe by Oolala
From "The Fitness Kitchen" by Shelly Sinton and inspired by Sally Schneider's recipe in "A New Way to Cook." Like a faux ice cream that tastes sublime without the heavy cream and sugar. Need frozen banana slices so need about 1 hour ahead of time. Finished dessert can be frozen in an airtight container and thawed for 30 minutes before serving to soften.
Top Review by blancpage
This was very good! I halved the recipe and ended up freezing my bananas for closer to 24 hrs than an hour. I had no coconut so omitted this, though I think it would have been wonderful, because without the shredded coconut there is really no coconut flavor at all, just creamy cold banana. I did have some semi-sweet chocolate chips I sprinkled on top. Thanks, Oolala. I think I will also try another reviewer's suggestion and try it with other frozen fruits.
- 3 medium bananas, very ripe
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk (or vanilla flavored soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or spiced rum)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (or shaved chocolate)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the bananas and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until solid, about an hour.
- To toast coconut, place in small skillet over high heat and cook, stirring often until coconut is fragrant and starts to turn light brown. Remove from pan immediately and set aside for garnish.
- In a food processor or blender, puree frozen bananas until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides occasionally.
- With motor running, slowly add coconut-milk, sugar, and rum or vanilla extract. Process until mixture has the consistency of soft ice cream.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of the toasted coconut and/or chocolate.