Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From "The Fitness Kitchen" by Shelly Sinton and inspired by Sally Schneider's recipe in "A New Way to Cook." Like a faux ice cream that tastes sublime without the heavy cream and sugar. Need frozen banana slices so need about 1 hour ahead of time. Finished dessert can be frozen in an airtight container and thawed for 30 minutes before serving to soften.
- Peel the bananas and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until solid, about an hour.
- To toast coconut, place in small skillet over high heat and cook, stirring often until coconut is fragrant and starts to turn light brown. Remove from pan immediately and set aside for garnish.
- In a food processor or blender, puree frozen bananas until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides occasionally.
- With motor running, slowly add coconut-milk, sugar, and rum or vanilla extract. Process until mixture has the consistency of soft ice cream.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of the toasted coconut and/or chocolate.