Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "The Fitness Kitchen" by Shelly Sinton and inspired by Sally Schneider's recipe in "A New Way to Cook." Like a faux ice cream that tastes sublime without the heavy cream and sugar. Need frozen banana slices so need about 1 hour ahead of time. Finished dessert can be frozen in an airtight container and thawed for 30 minutes before serving to soften.
- Peel the bananas and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place on a large baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until solid, about an hour.
- To toast coconut, place in small skillet over high heat and cook, stirring often until coconut is fragrant and starts to turn light brown. Remove from pan immediately and set aside for garnish.
- In a food processor or blender, puree frozen bananas until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides occasionally.
- With motor running, slowly add coconut-milk, sugar, and rum or vanilla extract. Process until mixture has the consistency of soft ice cream.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of the toasted coconut and/or chocolate.
This was very good! I halved the recipe and ended up freezing my bananas for closer to 24 hrs than an hour. I had no coconut so omitted this, though I think it would have been wonderful, because without the shredded coconut there is really no coconut flavor at all, just creamy cold banana. I did have some semi-sweet chocolate chips I sprinkled on top. Thanks, Oolala. I think I will also try another reviewer's suggestion and try it with other frozen fruits.
It was awfully banann-y for me, I would have liked to have more coconut flavor, personally. I didn't toast the coconut but stirred some directly into the icecream before freezing. Not enough time. Next time I'll toast it and will likely serve with chocolate sauce.
This is fantastic, and a great, healthy dessert option. I've also tried this with other frozen packaged fruit (strawberries, blueberries), tastes great and is really quick.