Prep 8 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is adapted from Smoothies & Summer Drinks. Freezing the bananas ahead of time makes for a thicker smoothie. To freeze the bananas I usually peel, slice, and then place them in an airtight container and then freeze. This can be made in a blender or in a large pitcher and puree using an immersion blender.
- 1 1⁄2 cups light coconut milk (do not use coconut cream)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple juice, chilled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 ice cubes
- 3 medium ripe bananas, frozen
- toasted shredded sweetened coconut (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Place coconut milk, pineapple juice, vanilla, sugar, nutmeg, ice cubes, and frozen banana pieces in a blender.
- Blend on high until mixture is frothy and ice cubes are finely ground, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour into 4 glasses.
- Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle on a little toasted coconut if desired.
- For Vegan omit whipped cream.
This was a very good drink! Not sure if I like the vanilla however. Like the nutmeg. I might add some whipped cream directly into the blender next time.
I made this one for my toddler DD but used regular milk with a few drops of coconut essence in place of coconut milk. I used fresh bananas rather than frozen also to make it easier for her to drink and left out the sugar. Even with my modifications this was still really tasty & DD really enjoyed it. Thanks for a keeper!
Fantastic yummy.. perfect for summer days. As it does not contain cow's milk its a great alternative for all those who cannot drink milk but still love the milshake/smoothie drinks