Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this pie as I had some ripe bananas left which I thought would be great in this recipe. To top it off I used my Coconut Whipped Cream Coconut Whipped Cream. I also had a little of the puff pastry left, so I decorated the top of the pie with some little maple leafs.
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package banana instant pudding (I used Dr. Oetker's cooked pudding and pie filling)
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package vegan gelatin (I used Kojel)
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry (1 sheet)
- 5 ripe medium bananas (sliced)
- 3 cups non-dairy whipped topping (divided)
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (toasted)
- Open the puff pastry and remove one of the sheets and let it thaw at room temperature for about 40 minutes.
- Spread your unsweetened flaked coconut on a baking sheet and toast at 350'F for 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on this as it will brown very fast. Remove as soon as the ends of the coconut become golden. Let cool.
- For The Pudding:.
- Prepare the pudding according to the package directions "except" only use one cup of non- dairy milk. This will make the pudding thicker. Once the pudding boils add 1 cup of coconut whipped cream.
- Give it a good whisk to incorporate.
- Take it off the heat and add the vegan gelatin and whisk again to break up the gelatin. Whisk for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth. Put a lid on it and set aside for now.
- Preheat oven to 400'F.
- To prepare the puff pastry crust:.
- After the puff pastry has thawed out roll it out to fit into a 9" pie dish. If any holes develop, use water to glue the pastry back together.
- Place the rolled out pastry into the pie pan and make sure you get all the air bubbles out from underneath. Prick with a fork.
- Place it into the preheated oven for 15 minutes. I re-pricked the pastry about 7 minutes into the cooking as it did puff up more.
- Once the puff pastry is golden remove from the oven and put it on a metal rack to cool slightly.
- Place enough of the sliced banana onto the puff pastry crust to cover the bottom (and sides if you wish).
- Give the pudding another whisk and then pour it on top of the sliced bananas. Spread it evenly then top with more banana slices.
- Then spread the remaining two cups of coconut whipped cream on top of the banana slices. Spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the coconut whipped cream Put it into the fridge and let it chill for at least 3-4 hours.
- Bon Appetit!