Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you like bananas, coconut, and rum, then this is a dessert for you. A good way to use up ripe bananas. Instead of the sauce, serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, cut into big cubes,toasted (approx, 6 cups)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 11 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 tablespoon rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, eggs, bananas, cinnamon, condensed milk, coconut, butter, vanilla and salt.
- Stir well to combine.
- Leave sit for 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into greased 9x9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in centre tests clean.
- For sauce: Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour.
- Add brown sugar, cream and milk.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Serve warm with pudding.
- If sauce becomes too thick, thin with a small amount of milk.
Very Good! I love the combination of coconut and banna. Don't care for boozey flavored food so skipped the rum flavor and used vanilla extract instead. Also just drizzling chocolate syrup over top is very good too. Thanks for sharing!