Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Moist loaf......great for guests at breakfast.
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, very ripe
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, soda, and salt together.
- Cream butter and sugars until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and combine well.
- Mix in bananas, then dry ingredients alternating buttermilk.
- Mix almost all the coconut, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Bake loaf for 60 to 70 minutes, until loaf feels firm to the touch.
- About half way through baking, sprinkle the remaining coconut on top.
I have to admit when I first tasted this bread, I wasn't all that impressed. It was good, but not outstanding. However, the next day it was SO much better. You MUST wait to eat this. After sitting the banana flavor becomes much more intense. This is a great, moist, flavorful bread and I will be making it again and again!
Thanks for making Mr. Bill chef of the day. His recipes sounded good, especially this one. I followed the recipe exactly, and it turned out perfectly. A nice variation to plain old banana bread, and the coconut topping makes it look even more appealing. Thanks, Bill. Am looking forward to trying carnitas next.
I really enjoyed this bread...and boy did it make the house smell wonderful!!! I think I will make a coconut butter to spread on it too. I was not sure how the two flavors, coconut and bananas would go together, being they both are tropical fruits, I think it was a perfect combo! Thanks