Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
A quick and easy dessert. We serve this up with homemade ice cream. This is a custard-like dessert normally made with cherries, but we love bananas and think it is better this way. Not recommended to use overly ripe bananas.
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 large bananas, firm but ripe
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' sugar, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter an 8 x 8-inch or 7 x 10-inch shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar in the bottom.
- Cut each banana into 3 long strips and line the bottom of the dish with them.
- In a bowl, beat together all the remaining ingredients, except the confectioner's sugar, and pour carefully over the bananas.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Sift confectioner's sugar over the top for garnish.