Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from the Australian Women's Weekly Oriental Dinner Party Cookbook. It is essential to use over-ripe bananas for this recipie
- 185 g butter
- 236.59 ml caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 473.18 ml self-raising flour
- 2.46 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 3 medium bananas
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 59.14 ml orange juice
for the orange syrup
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml water
- 59.14 ml strained orange juice
- Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light anf fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Process or blend bananas, lemon and orange juices until smooth and liquified.
- Stir sifted flour and soda and banana mixture into creamed mixture.
- Pour into well greased lightly floured loaf tin.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 40 minutes.
- Stand for 5 minutes.
- Invert tin onto a wire rack, stand for a further 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
- For the syrup, combine sugar, water and orange juice in a pan, bring to the boil and pour it onto the cake whilst hot.