Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- Peel bananas and chop into small pieces.
- Stone and chop the dates and chop the ginger.
- Put all the prepared ingredients in a pot with the vinegar, lime and orange zest and juice, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon for 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir ober a low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Return to the boil and simmer, stirring frequently for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the chutney has reduced and thickened.
- Spoon the chutney into warmed sterilixed jars to within 3 mm of the top.
- Seal the jars and label.
- Store in a cool dark place for 1-2 months before using to allow the flavours to develop.
This was very easy to prepare. I made it 1 month before Christmas and gave some for gifts... One recipient has asked for the recipe and husband loves it...which means an extra star as he has been eating the same old bought chutney for years.
I followed this recipe as it's written and found it very easy to make. The quantities made 4 jars and I havn't been able to resist opening the first already (after only a week!). It's delicious and a very good way of using up old bananas.
Very good chutney! I'm very pleased with the results! Waiting 1 or 2 months to dig in was impossible to do, and I found it delicious immediately. I made some jars up a month ago now (yielded about 4 cups)and it's just getting better. I used half dried dates and half dried figs and I love the figs in this mix! An easy chutney to make too. I love it and will make again, thank you!