1 hr 5 mins
From Gourmet Magazine (Feb 2008 edition). Makes a nicely moist case, which can be a great way to use up your overly ripe bananas. The chocolate addition is awesome!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (3 1/2-4 ounce) bar 70% cacao bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled, and coarsely chopped (3 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter a 9-inch square cake pan.
- 2Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- 3Beat together softened butter (1 stick) and 3/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in eggs 1 at a time until blended. Beat in bananas, yogurt, and vanilla (mixture will look curdled).
- 4With mixer at low speed, add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- 5Toss together chocolate, nuts, cinnamon, melted butter, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Spread half of banana batter in cake pan and sprinkle with half of chocolate mixture. Spread remaining batter evenly over filling and sprinkle remaining chocolate mixture on top.
- 6Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes, then turn out onto rack and cool completely, right side up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Chocolate Walnut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.0
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 62.4 mg
- Sodium 221.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 5.7 g