Recipe by Irmgard
A low fat recipe that is great. The cake (without the caramelized banana topping) can be made by itself in a loaf pan.
For the topping
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup banana, puree (2 medium bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the topping, mix the brown sugar and water together in an 8-inch square metal cake pan or cast iron skillet.
- Heat the mixture until it begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When cool, slice the bananas into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Arrange them in rows over the melted sugar in the pan, overlapping them slightly.
- Sprinkle the slices with the lemon juice.
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Stir in the granulated sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, egg, egg white, banana puree, sour cream and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Carefully spread the batter over the bananas and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Loosen the edges of the cake from the pan and invert on a serving platter.