1/2 Photos of Banana-Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake
A low fat recipe that is great. The cake (without the caramelized banana topping) can be made by itself in a loaf pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the topping
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup banana, puree (2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1To make the topping, mix the brown sugar and water together in an 8-inch square metal cake pan or cast iron skillet.
- 2Heat the mixture until it begins to boil, reduce the heat and simmer 45 seconds, stirring constantly.
- 3Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 4When cool, slice the bananas into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- 5Arrange them in rows over the melted sugar in the pan, overlapping them slightly.
- 6Sprinkle the slices with the lemon juice.
- 7To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- 9Stir in the granulated sugar.
- 10In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, egg, egg white, banana puree, sour cream and vanilla.
- 11Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients until just combined.
- 12Fold in the chocolate chips.
- 13Carefully spread the batter over the bananas and bake for 40 minutes.
- 14Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- 15Loosen the edges of the cake from the pan and invert on a serving platter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana-Chocolate Chip Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2837.6
- Calories from Fat 566
- Total Fat 62.9 g
- Saturated Fat 35.9 g
- Cholesterol 319.7 mg
- Sodium 2548.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 552.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.8 g
- Sugars 341.2 g
- Protein 41.0 g