Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful, moist banana cake. This can also be made in mini loaf cake pans also, they freeze very well. This cake is even better the next day.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar (or more or less to suit taste)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan OR 3 mini loaf pans.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter or margarine and the sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and the salt; beat until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking powder and the baking soda in the sour cream, and add to the creamed mixture; mix well until blended.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the banana pulp.
- Gradually, add in the flour mixture, vanilla; mix well with a wooden spoon, until well combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips, and the chopped nuts (if using).
- Transfer the batter into a prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours (for 9x5" baking pan), or until cake test done.
- For the mini loaf pans, bake for 45-50 minutes, or until they test done.
Truly a delight! Moist and tender inside with that lovely crisp crust on the outside that is the mark of a truly great banana bread if you ask me. This is a very sweet cake and made a huge loaf that overflowed my pan slightly, so next time I may make a regular loaf and a mini loaf from one batch.
This was lovely! It was moist in the middle and crisp around the edges and smelled and tasted wonderful. Just a heads up that it took about 2 hours to cook - it could be my oven, but thought I would mention it. :o)
I wanted something a little different for dessert and had some ripe bananas so I thought I would give this a try...it was wonderful! I didn't have any nuts to add, which would have made it even better, but the chocolate chips helped make up for it. I;ll be making this one again for sure.