Recipe by luvcook'n
These are very good! I have included two different ways of presenting the scones. One is easy and the other is just plain decadent.
Top Review by Janet H.
Very nice recipe! I made them with nonfat plain greek yogurt instead of banana yogurt or sour cream. I also increased the baking powder to a full tablespoon. They rose large, so I'd probably make 16 out of this recipe the next time. They were moist with a tender crumb. Completely repeatable. I did not make the cream cheese addition, just the scones.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold butter or 12 tablespoons margarine
- 2⁄3 cup very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup banana yogurt or 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup miniature chocolate chip
Chocolate Cream Cheese
- 3 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package whipped cream cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in bowl.
- Cut in the butter until the size of peas.
- Add the yogurt or sour cream, egg yolk, bananas and chocolate chips.
- Combine into ball. Flour a surface and knead gently until it comes together.
- Grease a cookie sheet. Place ball in centre of sheet and pat down to form a disk, about 2 1/2 inches high (approx).
- Cut dough in half and then in half the other way (now you have 4 pieces. Now repeat again. So now you have 8 triangles.
- Pull trianges out from each other so they are not touching too much. This will give you lots of nice crust.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Time depends on how thick you made the scones. To test for doneness -- check the centres where they touch. If firm, they should be done.
- For Chocolate Glaze:.
- When scones are done, put some mini choco chips on top of the scones. Leave for 5 minutes, then spread over top.
- For Chocolate Cream Cheese:.
- Heat chocolate and cream until chocolate is melted.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Stir into whipped cream cheese.
- Serve along side scones. YUMMY!