Recipe by Toby Jermain
My wife has made these a half dozen times since finding the original recipe in a Penzey's spice catalog. I was originally rather dubious about combining bananas and chocolate chips, but these taste great.
Top Review by chefboy
I have been making the Penzeys recipe since it was published in their Spring 2003 catalog. The recipe as they published it calls for only 1 cup of banana (about 2), 1/2 cup chocolate chips and no pecans. Since this recipe calls for more banana I can see why you would need to add more flour. These are fantastic muffins. I have also poured the batter into a loaf pan with great success. One change that I have made to the original recipe is that I substitue half wheat flour.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (plus up to 1/2 cup additional if batter is real loose)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease two 12 cup muffin pans and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla and mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix the chocolate chips and nuts into the flour mixture, stir this into the bowl with the butter mixture, and mix until just blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pans, filling 22-23 holes 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out completely clean.
- Allow muffins to cool about 5 minutes, and carefully run a dinner knife around the outside of each muffin to loosen.
- Allow muffins to cool completely before removing from pans or they will break up.
- If the bottoms are still damp, set on a wire rack for a few hours before wrapping.
- These freeze great.