Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a nice way to use up overripe bananas and have a fairly healthy treat ready for the kids. It has no sugar & is low fat. Diabetics should substitute carob for the chocolate buttons. Keeps for about 1 week. (Cooking time is freezing time)
- 250 ml low-fat evaporated milk
- 1 cup mashed banana (approx 3 medium size)
- 125 ml low-fat yogurt
- 60 ml low-fat milk
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 50 g chocolate, buttons chopped
- Pour evaporated milk into a loaf pan, cover with foil & freeze until just firm.
- Process evaporated milk, bananas, yoghurt, milk maple syrup & essence until thick & creamy.
- Pour mixture into a 15cm x 25cm loaf pan, cover & freeze until just firm.
- Repeat processing, stir in chocolate or carob, cover & freeze until firm.
My son was beside himself waiting for this to freeze. We really enjoyed the banana and chocolate flavor. The maple really sets the whole thing off. I thought it was a little icy, sort of a sorbet more than an ice cream consistancy. Still it was EXCELLENT! I am thinking about adding some rum and making an "adult" shake out of some here in a bit! yum!
This is nice & flavorful. Has an icy consistency though so hard to call it "ice cream" - I think this would be very nice if after the final "blend" it was poured into pop molds to make banana choc chip ice pops!