Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An incredily moist banana cake with chocolate chips inside the cake and all throughout the dark chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup hershey special dark baking cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy and consistent.
- Beat eggs into the butter/sugar mixture one at a time.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla.
- Alternate between the flour mixture and buttermilk, adding a little at a time of each to the butter/sugar mixture.
- Finally, mix the banana mixture into the rest.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hr and 15 min or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Put cake directly into the freezer from the oven and keep it there at least 45 minutes. I have kept it in there overnight before, and it turned out wonderfully moist.
- For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth and consistent.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa, salt, cream, and vanilla. Mix until creamy and consistent.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips until consistent. Coat the cake evenly.
- I iced the top of the entire cake, cut it in half the short way, layered one side on top of the other, then covered the rest of the exposed cake with the remaining frosting.
- The more ripe the bananas, the better the cake. Use the brown ones you're about to have to throw out.
- My husband asked me to re-create the Havana Banana Chocolate Chip Cake they serve at Cheeseburgers in Paradise. I borrowed from the base of recipe 67256 and frosting recipe 192894. Been awhile, so I don't know if it was exactly like the Havana Banana, but it made everyone here very happy. Thanks!