1/3 Photos of Banana-Chocolate Chip Cake
This cake is so good it should be illegal! It's very easy to make, just throw all the ingredients into the mixing bowl and let the beaters do the work. I got this from Betty Crocker's Cookbook 1978, my husband's kitchen bible from his bachelor days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups bananas, fully ripe, mashed (about 3 medium)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (I use soured milk)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
VANILLA BUTTER FROSTING
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour oblong pan, 9x13x2 inches.
- 2Beat all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- 4Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 5Bake until toothpick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 45 minutes.
- 6Cool cake completely and frost with Vanilla Butter Frosting.
- 7To make VANILLA BUTTER FROSTING:.
- 8Blend powdered sugar into butter.
- 9Stir in vanilla and milk.
- 10Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.
- 11Hint #1. For best results, be sure the bananas you use for cakes are fully ripened. If you use firm bananas, the cake will not have the fragrance or the flavor.
- 12Hint #2. To sour milk: Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. For this recipe, use 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice for 2/3 cup milk.
- 13Hint #3. When it comes to homemade frosting, I usually increase the recipe by one-half; so in this case, I used 4 Â½ cups powdered sugar, 7 Â½ tablespoons butter, and 2 Â¼ teaspoons vanilla (using the same measuring spoons, 1 Â½ teaspoons first, and then Â½ and Â¼ teaspoons vanilla).
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana-Chocolate Chip Cake
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.9
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 405.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 49.6 g
- Protein 4.4 g