Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This cake is baked in a 13 x 9-inch pan, there is enough delicious icing to cover the cake completely.
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 cups cake flour or 4 cups pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder (yes 5 teaspoons!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter
- 5 cups icing sugar
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon white vanilla (or use dark vanilla)
- food coloring (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees (oven rack to center position).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, then line bottom with parchment or waxed paper.
- In a small bowl beat bananas with sour cream until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, orange zest and vanilla until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, 5 teaspoons baking powder, baking soda and salt; add in the soft butter and HALF of the banana/sour cream mixture; beat until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon add in the remaining banana mixture then the chocolate chips.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
- Let cook in the pan for about 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the cake.
- Invert onto a rack, then peel off the paper.
- Invert to another rack to cool completely.
- In a large bowl combine all the icing ingredients; beat until smooth adding in more icing sugar if needed to create desired texture.
- Spread on cooled cake.