Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is being posted for ZWT II & my source is www.gourmed.gr/greek-recipes. This is really an easy dessert to make & the pic at the website looked like it was taken by 1 of our great RZ photographers!
- 1 sheet puff pastry (cut in 6 circles)
- 6 bananas (cut in 1/2 in slices)
- 2 cups chestnuts (shelled & boiled)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Bring sugar & water to a boil in a med saucepan over med heat. Brush any undissolved crystals down the side of the pot w/a wet pastry brush. Swirl the mixture (do not stir) in the pan & simmer till it takes on a light amber color. Remove from heat.
- Place puff pastry circles on a parchment lined baking sheet. Turn in the perimeter of each to form a thick ring that will hold in the fruit mixture.
- Place bananas & chestnuts inside ea tartlet, forming a concentric circle w/the bananas.
- Drizzle ea tartlet with 2 1/2 tbsp of the caramel & sprinkle w/a sml amt of added sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 F for about 25 min, till the bananas are softened, the caramel is a deep brown & the puff pastry is golden. Remove from the oven, cool slightly & serve.
Fabulous and oh-so-easy dessert. Fresh chestnuts are not in season yet (they come out late-Fall) so I used a little tin of pureed chestnuts, which I think, serendipitously, may be even better! I slathered a generous teaspoon of puree onto each puff pastry circle and then topped with banana slices. These were so presentable and a definite dinner-party dessert. A must-try.