This is a lovely iced cake (lighter version of a carrot cake) or have as a buttered loaf. I can kid myself that it is good for me because of the ingredients :) I saw this made on TV on the AWW Fresh cooking site (I think) and had to try it. It was a bit of a hit & miss with the ingredient amounts but I think I have them right as this is what I made mine with. I find I like to get all ingredients prepared first as then it is much easier to mix it altogether. Leave until cold before slicing)
CAKE or LOAF
- 2 eggs
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 120 ml olive oil (about 1/2 cup)
- 220 g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large ripe banana (mashed, about 1/2 cup)
- 160 g grated carrots (1 large, mine made 1 cup)
- 180 g crushed pineapple (this is equal to one 225g can well drained)
- 100 g pecans (chopped, about 2/3cup) or 100 g walnuts (chopped, about 2/3cup)
- 250 g low-fat cream cheese (at room temp)
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- pecans or walnut pieces, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- For the cake, line a 20cm cake tin, or for a loaf, line a large loaf tin.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, sugar and lemon zest together until creamy.
- Slowly add the oil while beating continuously.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together and stir into the creamed mixture.
- Fold in the banana, carrot, pineapple and chopped nuts until incorporated.
- Spoon mix into prepared tin and bake for 55-60 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool and if a cake, ice and keep in an airtight container, or, if a loaf, wrap in plastic wrap to store, or place in an airtight container. Serve the loaf either plain or buttered.
- In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese, icing sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth.
- Spread over the cooled cake and decorate with pecan or walnut pieces.
Oh wow, I'm a happy woman now! I used to make this cake and lost the recipe in a recipe purge, (last time I do that!). The only difference is my recipe used raw sugar instead of the brown sugar. Thanks for putting the recipe up.
Mixed reviews in my house-- some liked it, some did not. I doubled the recipe and baked it in my bundt pan-- it was perfect after 55 minutes. I did not use any nuts and I did not frost it. Personally, I think a slice warmed up with just a bit of butter spread on it is wonderful. ;)
have made this cake a few times varying it everytime, either using all walnuts or none at all in cake except on top.used candied peel instead of lemon rind when i didn't have & have 0never used pineapple, just topped up banana & carrot quota. it's deeeeeeelicous! mostly it comes out very moist, i call it pudding-cake. this is a firm favourite, all who i've made it for have loved it but even if they didn't i'd still make it often & savour it alone one slice per day! THANKS!