I made a this tart for Father's Day 2 years ago and it was a humungous hit! Deliciously different. Based on a recipe from the Union Square Cafe Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the Banana Topping
- 3 large bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, lightly toasted
For Caramel Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 450F.
- 2For the Crust: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar, with an electric mixer, until blended.
- 3Beat in yolk, vanilla, and salt.
- 4Add flour and beat until moist clumps form.
- 5Press dough into bottom of 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- 6Pierce with fork and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 7Bake crust until golden (about 15 minutes).
- 9For the Banana Topping: Reduce oven temperature to 375F.
- 10Overlap banana slices on crust, covering completely.
- 11Brush melted butter over banana slices and sprinkle with sugar.
- 12Bake until just warmed through (4 minutes).
- 13Drizzle with some caramel sauce (recipe follows).
- 14Sprinkle with macadamia nuts.
- 15Serve with ice cream and pass extra caramel sauce around.
- 16For Caramel Sauce: In a heavy saucepan, heat the cream over medium low heat until bubbles form, along the edges of the pan.
- 17Keep warm.
- 18In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and lemon juice until well mixed.
- 19Cover the pot and place it over medium high heat until the sugar melts and bubbles, about 4 minutes.
- 20Remove the cover and occasionally swirl the pan or stir the mixture until the syrup is a golden amber color, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 21While cooking, brush the sides of the pan with a wet brush just above the bubbling sugar to keep crystals from forming.
- 22Stirring constantly, slowly pour in the warm cream.
- 23Bring to a boil, continuing to stir constantly.
- 24Cook until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- 25Remove the sauce from the heat, add the butter, and stir until the butter melts and the sauce is smooth.
- 26Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, then cover tightly and refrigerate for up to two weeks; reheat in a pan of simmering water or a microwave.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Caramel Tart
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 835.1
- Calories from Fat 519
- Total Fat 57.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 155.4 mg
- Sodium 292.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 53.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g