Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Last year’s Texas state fair Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust baking contest winner. I suppose the entrant was required to use a refrigerated crust but feel free to use whatever crust you like. The cook/prep time includes all the passive baking/cooling times.
- 2 cups canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large bananas
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup melted chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Pour condensed milk into pie plate and stir in a generous pinch of salt.
- Cover pie with foil and crimp foil tightly around rim.
- Put in a roasting pan, then add enough boiling hot water to reach halfway up side of pie plate, making sure that foil is above water.
- Bake, refilling pan to halfway with water about every 40 minutes, until milk is thick and a deep golden brown color, about 2 hours.
- Remove pie plate from water bath and transfer caramel to a bowl, then chill, uncovered, until it is cold, about 1 hour.
- While caramel is chilling, bake one piecrust according to package instructions.
- Cool piecrust completely in pan on a rack, about 20 minutes.
- Brush melted chocolate on piecrust and chill for 10 minutes.
- Spread cooled caramel evenly over chocolate in crust, and chill, uncovered, 15 minutes. Cut bananas into 1/4-inch thick slices and pour lemon juice over them. Pile bananas over caramel.
- Beat cream with brown sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds soft peaks, then mound over top of pie.
- Chill until serving time.