Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
I have seen banana cakes made in all different ways, but this one was a first for me! By Martha Stewart....it's a good thing. I have not made this one yet, so times are an estimate. And because all bananas differ, the bananas used (all 6) should weigh about 4 lbs.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, plus more for pans
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour, plus more for pans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced lengthwise for filling
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Butter 2 9-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper. Butter the parchment and dust with flour, tapping out the excess; set aside.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1 1/2 sticks butter and 1 2/3 cups sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minute Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in two parts, beating until well combined after both additions, 2-3 minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the reserved mashed banana mixture, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake 30-35 min, or until golden and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool for 20 minute.
- Invert cakes onto the rack; peel off the parchment paper and reinvert cakes, and let them cool completely, top sides up.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar into a large skillet; cook over high heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until sugar is caramelized.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3 Tbs butter until melted.
- Return pan to medium heat and add the sliced bananas. Cook until slices start to brown, 1-2 minute Gently turn the bananas, and cook over medium-high heat until browned, about 2 more minute.
- Using a serrated knife, trim the tops of the layers to make them level.
- Place one layer on a cake plate and arrange the caramelized banana slices on top. Make sure the entire top is covered.
- Place the remaining layer on top and frost with mascarpone frosting.
- To make the frosting:.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone, cream and confectioners' sugar until medium-soft peaks form, about 1-2 minute Be careful not to overbeat, and use immediately.