1/1 Photo of Banana Caramel Cake
Adapted from Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate Now if only I could make this into a frozen dessert cause I love this combination.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces chocolate, broken into small pieces (I used a 65% chocolate)
- 3 ripe bananas, diced
- 1Butter and flour a tube pan or a bundt pan that can hold 12 cups.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and baking soda).
- 4In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs, oil and sugar. With the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 5Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure that the sugar has been incorporated.
- 6Add the vanilla extract and mix for another 30 seconds.
- 7With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients a bit at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl every now and then to ensure everything is incorporated.
- 8Once the dry ingredients have been added, remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add the chocolate and bananas. Gently fold them in with a spatula or a wooden spoon. Don't over mix.
- 9Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes and then test the cake to see if it's done by poking a toothpick or cake tester into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, bake the cake for another 5 to 10 minutes. In my oven, this cake took 55 minutes.
- 10About 5 to 10 minutes before the cake is done, make the caramel by combining all the ingredients in a small pan. Bring to the boil and stir occasionally to ensure that it doesn't burn. Let it boil for about 5 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- 11Once the cake is out of the oven, poke holes all over the cake with a skewer. Immediately pour the caramel over the cake, stopping every now and then to let the caramel sink inches If the caramel pools in spots, poke more holes to allow it to sink inches.
- 12Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Once it's cool, loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and then unmold it onto a plate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Caramel Cake
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.8
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.0 mg
- Sodium 323.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 41.9 g
- Protein 5.1 g