Recipe by Ninna
A very solid but flavourful cake from a late work colleague Graham B.
Top Review by Member #610488
I would call this Vietnam's version of the Banana Bread I was raised on and love to pieces. After smashing the bananas, I chopped them into tiny pieces so they would integrate into the batter better. The coconut was a nice touch and added really good flavor. Overall, I think it was an "A " recipe.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups wholemeal self-rising flour
- 5 bananas, very ripe
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried coconut (mix with the milk)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160degC (325degF).
- Beat eggs and sugar together in electric mixer until mixture is thick and pale - use a fairly low speed.
- Pour cream into the bowl and beat for a few seconds longer.
- Sift flour, add to bowl and stir with wooden spoon.
- Peel bananas and smash with the flat side of a chopper, but do not mash, add to batter with nuts and the coconut mixed with the milk.
- Stir only until all ingredients are combined.
- Grease 2 x 20cm (8”) pans and dust with breadcrumbs, shaking out excess and cook for 1 hr or until top brown, usually 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Serve warm or cold.