2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a really yummy cake with an unusual ingredient in the icing,pudding mix. I originally saw this made on Calling All Cooks on Food Network, and as if often the case, their online version was not exactly the same as what was aired on the show. So, I watched the show again and made my own notes and here is the version I ended up with. It turned out delicious :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 -3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Mix sugar and shortening until creamy.
- 2Add egg yolks and bananas, beat thoroughly.
- 3Dissolve baking soda into buttermilk.
- 4Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- 5Mix alternately flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture.
- 6Add vanilla.
- 7Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
- 8Bake in a preheated 350 F degree oven for 40 minutes, then let cool completely on racks.
- 10Cream the sugar, shortening and butter until light and fluffy.
- 11Cook vanilla pudding with milk until very thick.
- 12Cool and add to butter mixture.
- 13Mix with electric mixer at high speed for 15 minutes or until it is not grainy.
- 14Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 15Ice the cake, keep leftovers chilled.
- 16Yield: 2 (9-inch) layers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Cake With Pudding Icing
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.2
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 337.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 51.6 g
- Protein 5.1 g