Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy, one-bowl cake with a divine icing. This is the ULTIMATE banana cake, great way to use ripe bananas, too. The icing makes a lot, but if you're like me, I'm lucky if half of it makes it onto the cake and not in my mouth/lol. Also, great to turn the cake onto a platter, so you can cover the sides with icing, too. If you like bananas, I GUARANTEEE you will LOVE this cake!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed, ripe banana
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sour milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding or 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package banana cream instant pudding
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease and flour the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan.
- Blend together all cake ingredients and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min.
- ,until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing.
- Place all icing ingredients into medium-sized bowl.
- Mix with electric mixer on high speed until icing becomes fluffy and thick enough to spread (this takes a while, about 3-4 min.) Spread on top of cooled cake.
- Refrigerate entire cake for a few hours before serving for best taste, and serve cold.
I made this cake and enjoyed it very much. I agree that it is more like banana bread than cake, but that was not a problem for me. I made the icing using the banana cream pudding. I followed the directions exactly and did not have any problems. Definitely keep it in the fridge and serve it cold. The frosting does need to be kept cold otherwise it has a weirdness to it. But that's no different than a grocery store cake frosting. All the shortening didn't bother me. I would make this again.
Just made the icing. I used 2 pkgs vanilla instant pudding mix (102g each). I only had 1/2 cup shortening. I had originally measured out 1 pkg pudding mix, and followed the rest of the recipe exactly except for shortening. Not good. That's why I added the extra pkg pudding mix and a few more splashes of milk (probably 1/2 cup) to help thicken up. It ended up lumpy (due to shortening) and crunchy (because of the sugar granules) It's okay, everyone ate it, but I will NOT make again.
I thought the cake had a good flavor, but really tasted more like banana bread instead of cake. I did not use the icing recipe due to the fact of the shortening in it. I used a recipe that had instant banana pudding 1 pkg of dream whip & 2 cups of milk. The family thought it was good.