Erica Vasta's Note:
Kids and adults LOVE this moist cake and the topping seems to be everybody's favorite...
My Private Note
8x10 in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening (I use Golden Crisco)
- 1/2 cup sour milk (milk with 2 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice works too)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (I use 1 1/2 cups for a really moist cake)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- 2Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Add in mashed bananas and sour milk.
- 4Mix by hand 300 strokes or in a mixer at low speed for 2 minutes.
- 5Add eggs and vanilla.
- 6Beat for 1 minute on low speed or by hand 150 strokes.
- 7Spread into an 8x10 inch pan or 9x9 inch pan that is greased only on the bottom Bake at 375 degrees for 35-42 minutes.
- 8While the cake is cooking prepare crunchy topping.
- 9Cream butter and sugar.
- 10Add coconut and nuts.
- 11Remove cake from oven and turn dial to broil.
- 12Spread crunchy topping (I usually make 1 and a half times the topping recipe) over hot cake and broil until sugar is bubbly and topping is browned (Approximatley 3 minutes).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Cake with Crunchy Topping
Serving Size: 1 (1439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5724.4
- Calories from Fat 2807
- Total Fat 311.9 g
- Saturated Fat 91.6 g
- Cholesterol 435.2 mg
- Sodium 4851.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 702.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 456.6 g
- Protein 49.9 g