Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Kids and adults LOVE this moist cake and the topping seems to be everybody's favorite...
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening (I use Golden Crisco)
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk (milk with 2 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice works too)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (I use 1 1/2 cups for a really moist cake)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (I use ground almonds)
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in mashed bananas and sour milk.
- Mix by hand 300 strokes or in a mixer at low speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Beat for 1 minute on low speed or by hand 150 strokes.
- Spread into an 8x10 inch pan or 9x9 inch pan that is greased only on the bottom Bake at 375 degrees for 35-42 minutes.
- While the cake is cooking prepare crunchy topping.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add coconut and nuts.
- Remove cake from oven and turn dial to broil.
- Spread crunchy topping (I usually make 1 and a half times the topping recipe) over hot cake and broil until sugar is bubbly and topping is browned (Approximatley 3 minutes).
Very easy to make and was absolutley delish ! Did not change a thing. Will definately make this again.
This cake was fantastic! I used 2 full cups of mashed banana in order to replace some of the butter and it worked beautifully. I also had forgotten to buy coconut and nuts for the topping, so I just left them out and added a little cinnamon. Once under the broiler, this formed a delicious hard shell that really made the cake. I'll be making this again very soon!
YUMMY! I cut this into individual pieces and froze it and it did beautifully.