1 hr 33 mins
1 hr 3 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Kenyans enjoy snacking on bananas covered with roasted peanuts, a treat they call crunchy n'dizi. They are best when eaten hot, right from the oven. In the recipe below I've called the n'dizi crunchy banana as it's the only way I could get the data base to recognize it as the heading for that portion of this recipe. This recipe was found on CookEatShare and has been posted for ZWT 7
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 6 bananas, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
BANANA WHIPPED CREAM
- 1Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- 2Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla with a mixer until fluffy.
- 4Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 5Stir in the banana, and then the flour mixture into the batter, alternating with the yogurt, until blended.
- 6Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7Let the cake cool in its pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and set on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- 9Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- 10Warm a skillet over medium-high heat and add the banana rounds and water to the skillet, cover and let steam for 1 minute.
- 11Drain the liquid.
- 12Dip the banana rounds in melted butter, coat with chopped nuts and set on a baking tray.
- 13Bake for 4 minutes, then flip the rounds and bake for 4- 6 minutes until the peanuts are roasted.
- 14Banana Whipped Cream.
- 15Beat the cream, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks formand then fold in the mashed banana.
- 16To serve, cut the cake into squares and top with the Banana Whipped Cream and Crunchy N'Dizi.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Cake With Crunchy N'dizi and Banana Whipped Cream
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.9
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 90.6 mg
- Sodium 214.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 38.4 g
- Protein 6.6 g