Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very tasty banana cake. The recipe comes from the New York Times.
- vegetable shortening
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons creme de banane (optional)
Banana Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temterture
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- lightly grease and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan, shake out excess flour.
- Place cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add mashed bananas, ONE CUP OF WATER, oil, eggs and if desired, liqueur.
- Blend with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute.
- Stop mixer and scrape down side of bowl with rubber spatula.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan, place on center rack of oven.
- Bake until lightly browned, About 40 minutes, toothpick inserted in center comes out clean Remove from oven, cool on wire rack.
- FROSTING: Place cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl.
- Blend with mixer on low until combined.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, and blend on low speed until well mixed.
- Add flavoring and blend until fluffy.
- Use at once to frost cake.
I am not a fan of banana anything, but this cake sure changed my mind! It's easy to whip up and tastes like a million bucks. Made as is without the banana creme...added a smidge of vanilla to the icing and sprinkled chopped pecans on top. This is definitely going into the keeper file! Thanks for posting!
This is a very tasty cake and it was devoured immediately. I did not use the banana liquor and I increased the cinnamon by a tiny bit. This is a nice, light cake and that is what we were looking for. I have a feeling that it would keep quite well but it probably won't ever stay around long enough to test that theory out. I'll be making this often so thanks for the great recipe.
SO moist! I did not add the liquor, only because I did not have any. I used 3 large ripe bananas. This was perfect! Big hit!