A very tasty banana cake. The recipe comes from the New York Times.
Make and share this Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable shortening
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons creme de banane (optional)
Banana Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temterture
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- lightly grease and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan, shake out excess flour.
- Place cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add mashed bananas, ONE CUP OF WATER, oil, eggs and if desired, liqueur.
- Blend with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute.
- Stop mixer and scrape down side of bowl with rubber spatula.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan, place on center rack of oven.
- Bake until lightly browned, About 40 minutes, toothpick inserted in center comes out clean Remove from oven, cool on wire rack.
- FROSTING: Place cream cheese and butter in large mixing bowl.
- Blend with mixer on low until combined.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, and blend on low speed until well mixed.
- Add flavoring and blend until fluffy.
- Use at once to frost cake.