Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very moist cake. I have been requested to bring this to every pot luck we have at work. The cake is also very good without frosting, or sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Penuche Caramel Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, well packed
- 1⁄4 cup hot milk
- 3 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- Cream margarine, sugar and eggs until fluffy.
- Stir in mashed bananas and milk.
- Combine flour, soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Pour batter into greased and lightly floured 9X13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min or until done.
- Cool and top with Penuche Caramel Frosting.
- Penuche Caramel Frosting:.
- Boil butter, brown sugar and milk over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Beat in powdered sugar until you obtain the desired consistency.
- Pour over cake and spread.
Yummy! Made this for my son's 2nd birthday for a monkey themed party. It went over well with the the birthday boy and guests. Made 1 1/2 recipe to put in a sheet pan, I thought it came out great. Thank you for the recipe!
This recipe was excellent. That being said--it was a great jumping off point. I knew, for our family that it had too much sugar. I decreased it by 1/c and then used half brown and half white. I added a tsp of cardamom, a Tbsp EACH of vanilla and banana extract. I always add a 1/8 of a tsp or so of organic xanthan gum to my baked goods. This ensures an excellent crumb. But no matter what I do, if the base recipe isn't good, mine doesn't come out. This was excellent , and mine was terrific. Thanks for a great recipe.
This is a great banana cake recipe! Nice, moist cake and super frosting. I have made it as written and also modified to be vegan for my vegan family members. To make it vegan, I substituted coconut oil for the butter/margarine, almond milk for the milk, and a flax seed meal egg substitute (for each egg; mix 1 tblsp flax meal and 3 tblsp water, let set 20 minutes, mix in a pinch of baking powder just before adding to the recipe). The vegan version was very well received by everyone.