Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
another recipe from my "stash" not tried myself..but would like to
Make and share this Banana Cake With Brown Sugar Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cream butter and sugar -- add mashed ripe banana -- set aside.
- whisk together flour, baking powder,.add to banana mixture --
- add buttermilk, baking soda and chopped walnuts -- beat well.
- add one egg at a time, mixing well after each egg --
- pour into a greased 13x9" baking pan --
- bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes -- test with toothpick inserted near the center .cool on wire rack.
- to prepare BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:.
- combine brown sugar, milk, and butter and boil 1 minute -- let cool --
- the beat till creamy -- adding vanilla and enough powdered sugar till easily spreadable --
- frost cake when cool -- .
Absolutely the BEST banana cake I have ever made. I wasn't crazy about the frosting at first, but LOVED it on the cake; the banana and brown sugar worked perfectly together! I definitely recommend doubling the frosting and keeping it at a pourable/spoonable icing stage. One problem in the directions... it calls for baking powder which is not listed in the ingredient list. I added one teaspoon of baking powder along with the baking soda and it worked perfectly so I definitely recommend that. I also cut 1/4 cup out of the sugar, used skim milk, and omitted the walnuts. The cake was perfectly spongy, very banana-y, and kept moist for days! I wanted something different from the usual birthday cake and am so glad I made this one! I don't even feel the need to try any of those highly rated, popular recipes now because this one is absolutely outstanding! Thank you!
This was over the top good. I loved the frosting! It was sort of carmel flavored. Got a compliment that it was probably the best he ever tasted! That says a lot. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!