Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Preparation and cooking time does not include time to allow the cake to cool, then chill completely, which is an essential step.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup ripe banana, mashed
- For cake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Measure flour, soda, salt, baking powder and sugar into mixing bowl.
- Add softened butter and mix at medium speed of electric mixer until the mixture is a "mealy" consistency.
- Add buttermilk and mashed banana gradually and mix for four minutes; your mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Scrape the mixture from the sides of the bowl and add eggs in two additions, beating after each addition of egg.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans and bake at 350° for about 25 minutes (cake should be golden brown).
- Remove layers from pan and cool completely, then chill layers before you frost the cake (the icing is thin and it WILL RUN if cake is not cold!).
- For frosting, cream butter and sugar together and slowly add the cream.
- Add the mashed banana gradually, continuing to beat as you add it.
- Add corn syrup and mix enough to blend well (corn syrup will help the thin frosting to "set").
- Frost cake and store in refrigerator.
This cake was so good and moist. The changes I made were to use all whole wheat flour and cut the amount of sugar in the cake to 3/4 cup. The cake was still plenty sweet and good. I will definitely make this cake again.
Wow what an amazing cake, i made it for my son who is about to turn ten in 2 weeks. Everyone loved it, i did it w flavored cool whip. I actually like it better than my banana bread recipe!! It was so easy and fast to make and not so sweet it made you sick to eat it. I layered ours w pudding and bananana slices in the middle.. big hit with the kids as well. Its a keeper for my family!!