Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
Preparation and cooking time does not include time to allow the cake to cool, then chill completely, which is an essential step.
Top Review by Bobbin
This cake was so good and moist. The changes I made were to use all whole wheat flour and cut the amount of sugar in the cake to 3/4 cup. The cake was still plenty sweet and good. I will definitely make this cake again.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup ripe banana, mashed
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Measure flour, soda, salt, baking powder and sugar into mixing bowl.
- Add softened butter and mix at medium speed of electric mixer until the mixture is a "mealy" consistency.
- Add buttermilk and mashed banana gradually and mix for four minutes; your mixture should be light and fluffy.
- Scrape the mixture from the sides of the bowl and add eggs in two additions, beating after each addition of egg.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans and bake at 350° for about 25 minutes (cake should be golden brown).
- Remove layers from pan and cool completely, then chill layers before you frost the cake (the icing is thin and it WILL RUN if cake is not cold!).
- For frosting, cream butter and sugar together and slowly add the cream.
- Add the mashed banana gradually, continuing to beat as you add it.
- Add corn syrup and mix enough to blend well (corn syrup will help the thin frosting to "set").
- Frost cake and store in refrigerator.