Recipe by Grannie B
This is my favorite Banana Cake . . . Not too sweet, so it also works well for Banana Bread. It's very moist and rich. COOK'S NOTE: Mash bananas coarsely with a fork. Frost cake with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Beat together 8oz. cream cheese, 1/2 cup butter, then add enough powdered sugar (1 to 1-1/2 cups) till sweetened to taste and of spreading consistency. Less sweet allows you to taste the real flavor and nip of the cream cheese.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour. Add baking powder, soda and salt; sift again.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add beaten eggs, bananas and vanilla; beat well.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13 cake pan, or 2 loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean.