Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A banana cake from Better Homes & Garden.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup banana (mashed, about 3)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Grease and lightly flour two 8x1-1/2-inch or 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add bananas, buttermilk or sour milk, shortening, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Add eggs; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes for round pans or about 35 minutes for 13x9-inch pan or till a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool layer cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layer cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks. Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Yummy banana cake. I made it as written and frosted it with orange cream cheese frosting. We enjoyed this very much and will make it again. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
Nummy flavor and easy to make. We didn't frost ours and it was good that way. This would be great with a cream cheese frosting. Made for Spring PAC 2012.