Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
this is an amazing banana cake recipe which i found in a recipe book but tweaked with my own magic..... hope you enjoy :) I think the oil gives the cake a unmissable moistness and the sour cream helps bring out the flavour of the bananas. As for the cinnamon... i just love the taste of the cinnamon undertones to the richness of the vanilla-banana combination.... its gooooooddd. (how cheesy am i, .....lol)
- 2 overly ripe bananas
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (tasteless oil)
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Firstly you need to mash the bananas with a fork so that it is at a puree stage.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until they are pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla in now as the fat content of the butter enhances the flavour.
- Add in the mashed bananas, eggs, sour cream, and vegetable oil, then mix.
- Finally add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and fold in until thoroughly combined.(make sure not to overmix).
- Pour into a cake tin and bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours.
- Best eaten warm with ice cream, custard, double cream or condensed milk.