Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
This is Lovely! I had never made cream cheese icing before and this is so easy and delicious.
Top Review by Katzen
My goodness, is this ever good! I love the icing, and I don't normally like cream cheese icing... although I do find I like it more and more, particularly this one. I really liked what whipping the egg whites did for this cake, too. I split this up into two 8x8 pans, so DH and I could each take one to work. Bake time was 30 minutes when done that way. Oh, and I added the oil in with the bananas - I didn't see where to add it in the directions. Thanks for the awesome recipe, Lorrie! Made for 1-2-3 Hits.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Set two large spoonfuls of sugar aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, beat until light in texture, then add the mashed banana, oil and buttermilk, mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the two spoonfuls of sugar until they are stiff but moist.
- Plop the beaten whites on top of the batter and fold in until blended.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes,or until a cake tester(I use wooden kabob skewers -- LOL) inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan and frost with the following cream cheese icing.
- Cream Cheese Icing.
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, confectioner's sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl or the bowl of a food processor.
- Beat well or process until smooth and spreadable.
- Makes 3 cups of icing.