Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Healthiest banana cake ever! Great for breakfast, or just for a healthy treat that feels sinful! This recipe comes from the PCRM web site. I use blueberries when I can get them, but raisins will do in a pinch.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup blueberries or 1⁄3 cup raisins
- vegetable oil cooking spray, for pans
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, salt and wheat germ.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas and mix in sugar.
- Mix in soymilk and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture, stir lightly to mix.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Lightly coat 2 8-inch cake pans, and spread half the batter into each.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
I made this cake with raisins. Although the taste was quite good, I was not very satisfied with the texture, which was a bit dry and heavy.
Liked this. I made this for my niece who suffers from dairy, egg and other allergies and I used raisins in this. The only change I made was to omit the vanilla, since niece is also allergic to that and to cook it in a loaf tin instead of as two cakes. I increased the cooking time a little until a toothpick came out dry. It was still a moist cake and it went down well enough but several people said they found it to be a little sweet, and one said it was too banana-ry (Duh, it's a banana cake, so discount their opinion!) I must say that banana cake is not often seen here and it was a first for my Dutch family, so maybe their so-so response to this is more due to it being a new taste than anything else. I would certainly make it again. Please see my rating system: a lovely 3 stars for a vegan recipe that I hope can help niece to not miss out when cake is on the table. Thanks!
I really liked this recipe. I added sliced bananas to the bottom of the pan like other recipes for banana cake. I liked the fact that it was a hearty cake that was very filling, but good for you at the same time! I served it with banana pudding on the side and my guests loved it.