Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mum used to make this for me and my sister when we were younger and now I make it for the kids I look after. Its a good recipe to use up any bananas that are going a bit black. I also mash up bananas in lots of 3 put in a container and freeze for when I make this recipe and it turns out great.
- 118.29 ml margarine
- 177.44 ml white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 354.88 ml self raising flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 29.58 ml milk
- 4.92 ml bicarbonate of soda
- Cream sugar and margarine then beat in eggs one at a time beating well.
- Beat in banana.
- Sift in flour and salt.
- Dissolve carb soda in milk and add into bowl and mix until all is combined.
- Pour into a well greased tin and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- TIP: If you like your cake extra moist like I do add a little bit more milk to the batter before pouring into the tin.
Oh my! This cake was so GOOD! I am really bad at making cakes but this cake was different. I had to substitute the sugar because I ran out of white sugar, so I used 1/4 cup white sugar and 2/4 cups of raw sugar. Also the three bananas I used were huge so they would normally equal to about four bananas. I used a 21 cms round cake tin and cook it longer then 30 minutes but I think it was my oven setting. Other wise I kept to the recipe. We ate this for an afternoon picnic, Little Miss (DD) decided it was her favourite dolls birthday so it ended up being a birthday cake. Everyone who ate a piece said it's one of the best cakes they have ever had tasted. I have never made a banana cake in my life but this is become my favourite. It was so easy that Little Miss (DD four year old) mixed everything up herself. Thank you Stacey Q for restoring my confidence with baking.
Totally agree with Chef Flower... I can't bake cakes and have always struggled. Even I managed this cake and having shared it with flatmate and friends have received nothing but compliments are requests for second slices!! Didn't add any milk to mine and took the lazy option of using the food blender, but oh wow.... will so be enjoying this recipe again and again!