Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
simple and simply delicious
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups ripe bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- Mix together the shortening, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, bananas, and 1/3 c buttermilk.
- Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add remaining 1/3 c buttermilk and eggs. Mix for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in walnuts if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then assemble and frost.