Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lovely flavored spread for scones, toast, or pound cake. From C.C. Preserves.
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple, with juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, fresh or bottled
- 2 tablespoons chopped maraschino cherries
- 3 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 ounces liquid pectin
- Measure first 5 ingreedients into large saucepan.
- Heat and stir constantly as you bring to a rolling boil.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in pectin.
- Stir and skim for 5 minutes so fruit won't float.
- Pour into hot sterilized half pint jars to within 1/4 inch of top.
- Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely.
- For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.
this is great! I made it using 3 c bananas, 1 20 oz can pineapple, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 4 cups of sugar and a box of sure-jell low sugar, following these directions. Then I water-bathed it for about 8 minutes (12 oz jelly jars). Oh yeah, I added a pinch of cinnamon. Heavnly, I can't wait to have waffles so we can use some. Thank you for this idea, I never, ever would have thought to use pineapple otherwise.
I have never seen a recipe for this before. Tried it and me and my co workers liked it. Shared the recipe with them. I do have a question though. Is it better to use bananas as most people eat them, meaning a nice bright yellow with no spots, or do you use overripe ones? I used overripe from my freezer that I was saving for banana bread. My butter did not have the nice yellow color as in the picture,so was just wondering the best way to do this. I used the recipe variation from reviewer"Wildheart" .
Very easy, very yummy. Mine yielded 3 half pints with a little to spare. I always have bananas in the freezer and will be able to whip this up any time I want! Thanks for posting! Update: I ended up making more of this recipe, but only used 2 cups of sugar. I found that with the first batch, I could only enjoy very small doses due to the over-the-top sweetness. It is now perfect for my tastes and I will be making this again and again!