Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this on Kraftfoods.com while searching for another recipe. (Prep and cook times are estimated.)
- 4 cups bananas, mashed (about 11 fully ripe medium bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Fruit-Fresh Produce Protector (optional)
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box Sure-Jell, pectin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon margarine (optional)
- 6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
- BRING boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
- MASH bananas thoroughly. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir lemon juice and fruit protector into prepared fruit in saucepot.
- STIR pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired.
- Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
- STIR in all sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.
- Process 5 minutes in a hot water bath. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.).