Banana Rum Bread Pudding with Rum Caramel Sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 3 bananas, 2 very ripe, 1 firm
Rum caramel sauce
- 1To prepare bread pudding:
- 2Place bread cubes in a single layer in a casserole dish. Set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, beat eggs with rum. Stir in milk and brown sugar, mixing well. Add cinnamon and nutmeg, stirring until spices are thoroughly mixed into liquid. Pour mixture over prepared bread cubes. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour.
- 4Generously butter a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- 5Heat oven to 350°F Remove bread/egg mixture from refrigerator. In a medium bowl, mash two very ripe bananas. Stir into bread mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until done.
- 6Let cool 15 minutes. Invert onto serving platter.
- 7To prepare rum caramel sauce:.
- 8Melt butter with rum in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for five minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for five minutes. Stir in heavy cream. If mixture thickens before using, heat at medium setting in microwave.
- 9To assemble:.
- 10Diagonally cut firm banana into 13 pieces. Spoon rum caramel sauce over bread pudding, allowing the sauce to drip down sides. Place 5 slices of banana in a zig-zag pattern down center of bread pudding. Place two banana pieces on plate in each corner of the bread pudding.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.8
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 133.8 mg
- Sodium 277.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 31.0 g
- Protein 7.2 g