A delicious breakfast recipe from the people at Quaker Oats! The toasted pecans make it a real treat, and it can be dairy-free if soy milk is used (and soy yogurt, if desired).
- 3 cups nonfat milk or 3 cups soymilk
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 -3 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted pecans (see tip)
- nonfat vanilla yogurt or soy yogurt (optional)
- banana, slices (optional)
- pecan halves (optional)
- In medium saucepan, bring milk (or soy milk), brown sugar, spices and salt to a gentle boil (watch carefully); stir in oats.
- Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for old fashioned oats, or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Remove oatmeal from heat.
- Stir in mashed bananas and pecans.
- Spoon oatmeal into six cereal bowls.
- Top with yogurt (or soy yogurt), sliced bananas and pecan halves, if desired.
- Tip: To toast pecans, spread evenly in shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F 5 to 7 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Or, spread nuts evenly on microwave-safe plate.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir.
- Continue to microwave on HIGH, checking every 30 seconds, until nuts are fragrant and brown.