Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This bread is inspired by the “Banana Man”, a wildly eccentric character that supported himself by the sale of his bread off the back of his bicycle in Key West, Florida. It is by far the best recipe for a “special” banana bread treat.
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 2 cups mashed bananas (4 to 5 Medium banana)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt or 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄3 cup diced dried papayas or 1⁄3 cup apricot
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour an 8.5” – 4.5” loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the bananas, vanilla extract, rum and spices. Beat until blended.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the yogurt to the batter, beating until fluffy. Fold the remaining ingredients into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the pan; bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 70 minutes until the bread pulls away slightly from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted comes away clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert the loaf onto a rack, remove the pan, then turn the loaf right side up to cool completely.
I was looking to make banana bread , decided to try this recipe and it turned out excelent. Kirt
Fabulous! I used rum extract and subbed craisins for the dried cherries.
Fantastic! I left out a few mix ins so my kids will eat it. But is still wonderful. Thanks!